How do I use the forum?
How do I use the forum?
Click here for a pdf of instructions on how to use the forum.
Contact the Program Officer if you have any questions.
How to register for the forum
1. Go to the SSG website: www.iucnssg.org
2. Look for the link entitled 'forum', click on 'register' to get yourself set up as the user, after reading the normal rules of engagement.
How to begin re/assessing a species
1. Email the Program Officer email@example.com for a pdf of the previous listing (if available) and word document of the template to use for the new/revised listing – cut and paste relevant text from previous assessment to new word document.
2. New forum for discussing the listings - Save Our Seas have funded the creation of a Red List forum for soliciting and exchanging RL information. We will all have to learn this new tool but it will be beneficial in the long run due to the transparency it will bring to debates and discussion.
The best way to initiate a new listing is to start a new 'thread' for each
species on the forum and invite people to join in.
The process is as follows:
a. Sign into the forum
b. Click on "Red List Assessments", which will open up to a new window with a taxonomic hierarchy
c. Click on relevant taxon, say Batoids (ORDER RAJIFORMES)
d. Click on "FAMILY RAJIDAE - skates"
e. In the new page, just below "FAMILY RAJIDAE - skates" click on "Post a New Topic" and post the topic.
f. The title of the posting should clearly state what the topic is about – new information, suggestion to uplist/downlist, regional/global assessment.
g. Attach a document if necessary. Max size 3MB – most document types allowed and remember to ‘zip’ large documents before attachment if required.
3. Send a general email out to relevant scientists, past and new assessors and the SSG program officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) to invite them to use this forum and to "subscribe to a forum topic" to be notified of new postings in a topic (see below).
4. Here are links to:
Red List Categories and Criteria (version 3.1) http://www.iucnredlist.org/documents/redlist_cats_crit_en.pdf
Red Listing guidelines (version 8, March 2010) http://www.iucnredlist.org/documents/RedListGuidelines.pdf
5. Read through these if you have a chance, but I would draw your attention to page 8 on the Categories and Criteria doc and P 10-12 in the guideline which has some guidance on how to go about transfering species across categories.
How to subscribe to a forum topic
1. Sign in to the forum
2. Enter the forum – click on “Red List Assessments”
3. Click on taxon in which the topic you would like to subscribe to is located – Sharks, Batoids or Chimaeras
4. Click on the Order that you are interested in
5. Click on the particular topic that you would like to subscribe to
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “subscribe topic”
If you would like to unsubscribe to a topic do the same thing but this time you will click on ‘unsubscribe topic’.
Last update on 13-09-2010 by Lucy Harrison.